Wednesday 30 July 2014

Core Bands- Your Best Bet

Pantera. Metallica. Slipknot.
I think we can all agree they're brilliant bands. However, as brilliant as they are, there will only be one of them. There will never be another Pantera, another Metallica, another Slipknot- that generation of metal is over. Yet there are perfectly good metalcore bands that are talented all the same.
I cannot count the amount of times I've been watching the likes of Asking Alexandria, August Burns Red, or Of Mice and Men and read a YouTube comment that goes along the lines of "Noooooooooo, this isn't reeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal metal! Go listen to Slipknot."
Slipknot is fucking brilliant. However, Slipknot will not last forever. Metallica will not last forever. (Jesus, with the amount of hatred they have between themselves, it's a shock they've lasted this long. Props to them.)
What I would recommend to quench your need for a good headbanging (sounded slightly dodgy, just ignore that) are bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Blessthefall, and old Bring Me The Horizon. (I actually love the new BMTH, but someone who wants some heavy metal would prefer their old stuff like I Made Out With Medusa and Alligator Blood.)
I can kind of suspect why a lot of metalheads don't like the new wave of metalcore, though. It's the fans. There are a lot of scene girls who pose as fans of core bands, that I am forced to engage in conversations with that usually go a bit like;
Them: "Do you like (Of Mice and Men)?"
Me: "Yeah, they're really good. I absolutely love You're Not Alone."
Them: "Yeah... How hot is Austin?!"
I'm not gonna lie, people. I feel your pain. It's really annoying. But perhaps, if you ignored the fanbases and concentrated on the music, you'd enjoy the bands a bit more. Just a suggestion.
I mean, Asking Alexandria have brilliant basslines, BMTH have a brilliant (massively underrated) drummer, OM&M always have great anthem like clean vocals. (I must say I prefer Shayley Bourget to Aaron Pauley, but whatever.)
Lyrics wise?
Don't say I'm better off dead,
'Cause heaven's full and hell won't have me.
Won't you make some room in your bed?
Oh, well you could lock me up in your heart,
And throw away the key.
Won't you take me out of my head?
(Taken from And The Snakes Start To Sing by Bring Me The Horizon.)
Rescue the beauty that's left.
Restore the character that's long since gone,
Because these colors must never fade.
The beat must carry on.
(Taken from Creative Capacity by August Burns Red.)
I stand firm in my solidarity
The path I walk, I walk it with my own resolve
When darkness falls we are reborn
Our dream since the fall of man
We are reborn.
(Taken from When Darkness Falls by Killswitch Engage.)

One day all the old metal will be gone, and what are you gonna listen to? 5SOS? Leave your reservations behind you. Listen to some core bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment